Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre - Sydney



Friday 2 May 2008
A beautiful new indoor aquatic complex in Ultimo, near Darling Harbour. Walking from Central Station it wasn't that easy to find and probably took almost an hour (not in a straight line). A map may have helped, the GPS didn't. Sparkling clean modern facilities with lots of white it includes an 8 lane 50m pool, teaching pool, leisure/kids pool, spas, sauna and steam room. Entry $6. I think there was a gym too. Change rooms were small but clean. Too bad I didn't know they had a hairdryer (that's important!) - or I wouldn't have lugged mine across Sydney. Great architecture - a wave-like ceiling. I heard the comment that you could probably ski down the roof...? I'd hoped to join in with a Masters squad but there are none training there as yet so I swam a leisurely 2km in clear water, the temperature was perfect.
What a great pool, I wish we had something similar in the city of Adelaide.

No comments: